Grades: 11, 12 – Credits: one/weighted +.5
- Medical Assistant Teacher, HS
This course focuses on various techniques that are used to modify living organisms, or parts of organisms, to improve plants and animals, and the development of microorganisms for specific purposes. Student activities range from bioprocessing and DNA analysis, to medicine, biomechanical systems, and the environment. Students gain insight and understanding about biotechnology career fields.
- Successful completion of this course in conjunction with a corresponding industry certification may qualify for a student-selected verified credit.
Academy graduates interested in Biotechnology can continue their studies at a large variety of schools including.
- George Mason University
- James Madison University
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Northern Virginia Community College
- Old Dominion University
Students are introduced to all careers within field of Biotechnology:
- Forensic DNA Analyst
- Medical Scientist
- Biological Technicians
- Bioinformatics Specialist
- Medical and Clinical Lab Technologists & Technicians
- Biochemists and Biophysicists
- Biomedical Engineers
- R&D and Process Development Scientists
- Regulatory QA/QC Biomanufacturing Specialists
- Bioproduction Operators